What you need to know about travelling with pets to the EU since Brexit.

Due to our current circumstances, sadly it may be some time until we are free to travel. However, we have left the European Union and the regulations surrounding travelling with pets has changed. For when your ready and allowed to set sail again, here’s what you need to know.

Ready for when we are allowed to travel again

Since 1 January, pet passports issued in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel to Northern Ireland or the EU. Instead, anyone wishing to travel with a pet cat, ferret or dog, or an assistance dog, must obtain an animal health certificate (AHC) for their pet no more than 10 days before travel.

AHCs must be signed by an official vet. They are valid for 10 days after the date of issue for entry into Northern Ireland or the EU, and for onward travel within these areas and re-entry into Britain for four months after the date of issue.

Animals need to be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies – owners will be required to carry proof of their pets’ microchipping date and vaccination history.

People travelling with a dog directly to Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Finland, Norway or Malta must treat their canine companion against tapeworm one to five days before arriving in any of these countries.

Pets and assistance dogs based in Northern Ireland returning from Britain can use an Northern Ireland-issued EU pet passport to re-enter the country and will not need an animal health certificate. 

When we are eventually allowed to travel again, we wish you and your pooch safe, happy and memorable adventures.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: